Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

A New Take on an Old Favorite ~ Pimento Cheese

Inspired by my latest Southern Living magazine, I started experimenting in the kitchen (one of my FAVORITE things to do) over the weekend. Here is the recipe that I came up with for one of our families Southern favorites . . . Pimento Cheese!

INGREDIENTS:
16 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
4 oz cream cheese
1 - 4 oz jar diced pimentos
1/3 cup chopped olives with pimentos
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
dash of red pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Allow grated cheese and cream cheese to reach room temperature. Once softened, mix cheddar and cream cheese together thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Store in frig in an airtight container.

Recently I posted a recipe for Irish Soda Bread. This morning I made it a little different and it made the BEST Pimento Cheese sandwich for my lunch today . . . yummy!

Irish Soda Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups plain white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups buttermilk

DIRECTIONS:
Mix all ingredients together. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead well. Place dough into a buttered casserole dish and bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and turn out on wire rack to cool.

*I decided that I really like the taste the whole wheat flour gives to the bread and I will make it this way from now on.

Look for my next post on the other treat I made with the Pimento Cheese ~ happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment